Corbett School District Regular School Board Meeting
Wednesday March 12, 2014 7:00 PM
* NOTE: This web site is provided as a courtesy for those interested in following along with the happenings in our district, especially those that live in Corbett. This site and these board notes are not meant to replace official CSD board meeting minutes, which are usually online 3-4 months from each meeting. Thank you to Karina Lande for sharing the below update from the above meeting. Audio is also available and will be added at a future time.
Going for another GO Bond, May 2014
1. The board will be putting a bond on the May ballot for 9.4 million. This will include a new 25,000 sqft building (current building is 15,000). They will NOT be saving the architecture features or anything from the old historic building. They are counting on this being an easy pass.
Board Majority approved Superintendent to submit his STEM School Application
2. The board approved the submittal to ODE of the application to create the STEM SCHOOL to start fall of 2014. A new separate charter/magnet school within Corbett. More about this here!
Superintendent Trani Contract Extended till 2017
3. The board approved the extension of Randy Trani’s 3 year rolling contract through 2017, current contract did not expire until 2016. Todd Mickelson will be negotiating the contract terms with Randy as far as raises etc etc.. Originally this was going to be done with the entire board in public session but seems Charlie decided to change that plan as well. More about this rolling contract here.
Open Enrollment = No Change in Student Population Numbers (even without Charter)
4. The district has opened enrollment for out of area students to attend CSD next year, and currently has 550+ applications received. More details on this here.
Charter Mediation between Board Chair, Superintendent, CSD Admin with Charter…. No one else on the board or in the public allowed to attend
5. There will be a mediation meeting with the charter on Monday. The only ones attending will be Charlie & Randy and other CSD admin. Other board members were not allowed to attend.
Administrators All Get Rolling 3 Year Contracts (And extensions to 2017)
6. Staffing: admin & Randy are granted 3 year rolling contracts. We are the only district who does this. Charlie says it gives the staff stability.
Vanessa Knight had her Contract Extended ( Not surprisingly ) Superintendent Trani had an extra-marital affair with this Subordinate … she is, or was, also married.
A SPED high school teacher named Alicia Denny has had her contract “non renewed” which basically means she’s being let go. When we came to this item on the agenda the board went to a short executive session and then returned. A motion was made to non renew this teacher and when Charlie asked if anyone wanted to speak against it, Annette said “yes but if we’re not allowed to I guess I can’t”. Charlie said well yes. ( This raises many red flags to me because we are letting a teacher go with no discussion and no reason? A gag order was obviously the purpose of the quick exec session. Why? What is being hidden here? More games and cover ups under the guise of “private personnel matters” is my suspicion. I will keep you posted as I find any related info. )
We are also hiring new teachers and bringing in new kids BEFORE we know how this charter mess will end…
What happens if charter wins in court and we’re now obligated to all of those kids AND the addition of open enrollment kids? What happens if the charter teachers are back and we’ve signed contracts to new teachers too, then what? Hmmm perhaps that one year wasn’t such a bad idea to have all of these things truly “plan-able”.
There were many great public comments as well. I will try to get more in depth notes up over the weekend as my schedule allows. Below is the results of the mailed out survey regarding the bond.